Elevate your pasta experience with our easy-to-follow Barley Flour Pasta recipe. Made from wholesome barley flour, this homemade pasta boasts a delightful nutty flavor and a tender bite that's sure to impress. Perfect for those looking to add a healthy twist to their pasta dishes.
PRINT RECIPE CARD
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 cups Barley Flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Water (as needed)
- On a clean surface, create a mound with the barley flour and make a well in the centre.
- Crack the eggs into the well and add the salt.
- Using a fork, gradually incorporate the flour into the eggs until the dough starts to come together.
- Once the mixture forms a rough dough, use your hands to knead it for about 10 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too dry, add a little water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. This allows the gluten to relax and makes the dough easier to roll.
- Cut the rested dough into manageable portions. Roll each portion into a thin sheet using a rolling pin or a pasta machine. Aim for your desired thickness, keeping in mind that the pasta will expand during cooking.
- Cut the rolled dough into your preferred pasta shape—such as fettuccine, tagliatelle, or pappardelle. Alternatively, use a pasta machine with the desired attachments.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Gently place the fresh barley flour pasta into the boiling water and cook for 2-4 minutes, depending on thickness. Fresh pasta cooks much quicker than dried pasta.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with your favorite sauce. Barley flour pasta has a nutty flavor that pairs well with a variety of sauces, such as tomato-based, pesto, or garlic and olive oil.